June 13, 2012
Six Reasons to Fall in Love With Your iPhone All Over Again This Fall
time to get excited about your current iPhone or iPad all over again!
Apple recently announced the upcoming autumn release of iOS 6, which
will be compatible with iPhone
3GS and later, 2nd-generation iPad and later, and the 4th-generation
iPod touch. Among other new features, the updated operating system will
offer enhancements to Siri and Facebook along with a new Maps
application and shared photo streams through iCloud.
At Monday’s WWDC keynote event, Apple’s senior vice president of iOS Software Scott Forstall stated, “iOS 6 continues the rapid pace of innovation that is helping Apple reinvent the phone and create the iPad category, delivering the best mobile experience available on any device.”
Here’s an overview of some of the most exciting updates:
- For Siri-enabled devices, Siri will gain knowledge in some foreign languages, sports even launching apps.
- Facebook will become more integrated with system-wide login capabilities and the ability to post from other apps.
- New do-not-disturb options will be available for hushing app notifications and responding to ignored calls with pre-set text messages and call-back reminders
- Shared Photo Streams will allow users to share pics with select friends and family through other iOS devices, iPhoto or Aperture, and Apple TV.
- Passbook, a new wallet app, will store payment cards and electronic tickets - such as Starbucks’ Gold Card, Fandango movie tickets, plane and sports tickets, and more.
- A new Maps app will be outfitted with Apple’s own map data, Yelp business information, traffic data sourced in real-time from users, and turn-by-turn navigation triggered by Siri.
Cult of Mac calls these “some of the biggest UI improvements Apple has made in the history of iOS.” Our own iOS users on the Grove team can’t wait to get a fun revamp on their devices come fall. Luckily, if you’re a developer, you don’t need to wait to begin coding for the new system! On Monday, Apple released the software development kits for iOS 6 along with the kits for OS X Mountain Lion.
Read more about the new iOS 6 on MacRumors, TUAW, and Cult of Mac.
by Mary Yajko. She is a Grove customer support rep and crazed blogger
originally from upstate New York. She enjoys opened minds,
uncontrollable fits of laughter, and large amounts of french fries with