December 17, 2013
From Start to Finish: The Grove Dock
The Grove Dock is one of our favorite products here. We just love plugging and unplugging our phones with one hand, and our desks look so sharp. The Dock is also one of our most interesting products to manufacture, because we are using a steel component for the first time ever. Here’s how we make them:
1) The heavy steel bases are milled out of a solid block of steel for us by a partner company close by in McMinnville, Oregon. Our machines can handle machining metal but we have them setup for wood, so our friends about an hour southwest of Portland mill this component of the Dock.
2) The steel bases are then sent to two other partner companies nearby Portland -- one company adds nickel plating to the silver Dock base and the other company adds a black coating to the black Dock base (the same black coating used on black knives and guns!).
3) We receive the steel bases here at our Grovemade workshop, and inspect each one very closely for any scratches or imperfections.
4) Meanwhile! In our workshop, we’ve been working hard to mill the bamboo Dock caps out of solid blocks of bamboo, like our Bamboo Cases for iPhone. We hand sand and apply a natural citrus oil and wax blend to each cap. Finally, we laser engrave our logo into the bamboo.
5) We also laser cut the various insert keys out of black acrylic, which are used to pinch the charging cable inside the dock so it can be adjusted to be used with or without a case. We make one key for the 30-pin adapter and one for the lightning adapter.
6) We laser cut the black cardboard sleeve which we specially designed for the packaging of the dock. Our logo is featured in cutout form on the sleeve, along with the satisfying perforated strip you can peel back when you first open your Dock!
7) Finally, we pack up each Grove Dock for iPhone kit ourselves and ship them from our workshop to you!
Remember -- this thing is wonderfully heavy! We’ve said it before, but please, please, PLEASE don’t drop this Dock on your toes!